Let’s face it, finding a bra that fits well and feels comfortable can seem like an impossible task, there are seemingly millions of options and trying to filter through them all can be overwhelming! I have spent 3 decades fitting bras on thousands of women, I have figured out which styles fit best on all different breast types ( Full/Small/Uneven/Pendulous/Surgically Altered ). None of us are created the same and neither are our bras.
Does your bra dig in too tight on the sides and create back “fluff”? Do you constantly have to pull up your bra straps? Are you just uncomfortable? Online bra sizing charts are a good “guide” to start. What those charts don’t take into account are the other variables like height, body type, breast type etc. A 5’10 woman and a 5’2 woman could have the same measurements, but not be comfortable in the same style bra. Your bra size is based on two measurements, one under the bust around the ribcage ( number) , and one around the fullest part of your breasts ( letter). Generally the cup is found by taking the difference between the two measurements, each inch of difference = 1 cup size. For example if your measure 33 around your ribcage and 40 around your bust we would start with a 36G. The band size is usually the nearest even number. This is a starting point, every bra fits differently, so you could end up with multiple sizes in different styles.
Building your bra wardrobe
In a perfect world your bra wardrobe will consist of multiple styles to compliment all your clothing wardrobe!
1. Everyday bra- Seamless or with seams with great lift and shape for your basics, Wacoal Perfect Primer, Elomi Maitlda Bra
2. Sexy Lacy Bra- For obvious reasons and to let a little lace peek out, Fantasie Offbeat, Skarlett Blue Minx t-shirt bra.
3. Convertible bra- A bra that has a j-hook to convert to a racer back bra, Natori Cherry Blossom, Elomi Matilda
4. Strapless Bra- A proper fitting strapless bra can be the difference between an amazing special event or an annoying one pulling up your bra the entire time! Wacoal Red Carpet Strapless.
5. Bralette- A wire-free, comfortable yet supportive bra, Cosabella Curvy Soire Confidence
6. Seamless contour t-shirt bra- Great under v-necks or any lower cut shirt, provides lift and brings breast together for a great look, Natori Bliss Perfection, Natori Full Feathers T-shirt bra
7. Sport Bra- I have seen so many women suffering with wearing multiple sports bras for support, that is not necessary if you have the right one!- Wacoal Sport Bra
Schedule Your Fitting
The best way to achieve all of the above is to book your own custom bra fitting. A professional bra fitter will take the time to find the best bra for your exact size and shape. Christina Faraj Savarese at The Bra Fit Expert has three decades of experience helping women find their perfect bra fit. As seen on Good Morning America, The Bra Fit Expert offers custom fitting appointments in person in Cornwall, NY or over the phone/virtual fittings. Schedule a fitting today to find your perfect bra, and say goodbye to pinching, binding, and loose bra straps for good!